SA 3.1.3 + DCC 1.3.

Wed Oct 25 02:05:40 UTC 2006

This concerns an old thread including
http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2006/003218.html

> From: Jeff Mincy
> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:38:06 -0400

> >> The empty string is kind of a bummer.   The empty string is also
> >> returned for various problems.
> >>
> >> Would it be possible to return a different string for whitelisted
> >> messages?  Maybe something like:

> I have also seen empty string results for timeouts and also crashes
> when using dccproc (eg like the crash fixed in 1.3.25).  I want
> locally whitelisted messages to have a different result than timeouts
> and crashes.

I think I finally have a better answer.

First, the so called empty strings are artifacts of SpamAssassin or
short shell scripts.  What is happening is that the DCC client, dccproc,
dccifd, or dccm, does not currently add an X-DCC header to the passing
message if communication with the DCC server failed or was prohibited
by local whitelisting.  I see three cases:

  1. Version 1.3.43 will synthesize an X-DCC header when the DCC
    server chitchat fails but the local whiteclnt file (global or
    per-user) blacklists the message.

  2. I don't like chatty programs.  If the DCC client has nothing to
    say about a mail message because talk with the DCC server failed,
    then I think the DCC client should say nothing and so the X-DCC
    header should be absent.  That will leave SpamAssassin saying
    whatever it says in such cases.

  3. If the local whiteclnt file whitelist a mail message, should the
    X-DCC header say so?  Except for upward compatibility worries, I think
    so.  I'm thinging of making the X-DCC header be something like this
    in that case:

   Would that break things such as SpamAssassin?