Whitecommon files on public dcc servers

Thu Oct 19 15:38:29 UTC 2006

> From: graf@sunpendulum.at (Georg Graf)

> I am interested whether it is desireable to have the same
> whitelist and whitecommon files on all public dcc servers.

> I played with the idea of just commenting out the "include
> whitecommon" line in my whiteclnt.

The idea of server-side whitelists is at best useful in rare, special
cases for private DCC servers.  At start I had the notion that DCC
servers would have whitelists for all legitimate bulk mail senders.
I eventually realized that building a list of all legitimate bulk mail
senders such as mailing lists would depend on all of them registering
with me, and anything like that on the Internet has been crazy since
the 1970's.  So I added client-side whitelists.

A basic notion of the DCC is that while an outside or central service
can determine "bulk," "solicited" can only be determined by individual
mail targets.  If a DCC server can be configured for all mail recipients
using it, then a server white/blacklist can make sense.  For example,
Acme Widget's DCC server might whitelist Acme's own mail systems and
blacklist AAA Gadget's email as well as mail from Porn_R_US.com.
On the other hand, whitelists are not likely to make sense for a public
DCC server, because a public server knows little of the 40,000 or more
anonymous DCC clients using it.