Does Microsoft Exchange retry delivery correctly?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Oct 7 00:50:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 08:59:51AM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 09:17:04AM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed problems with Microsoft Exchange and DCC
> > greylisting?  Until recently, I've been telling people that Exchange
> > does follow the SMTP standards correctly.  Lately however, I've seen
> > a couple of instances where Exchange never retried delivery after
> > a 452 response from our MTA.
>
> I have some new information on this problem, thanks to a nearby
> Exchange site that was having problem sending e-mail to us.  Our
> sendmail logs showed that Exchange never retried delivery after a
> temporary delivery failure code.  The admin restarted the Exchange
> service and tested with a fresh sender/recipient pair.  This time, it
> retried very nicely, first one minute apart and then ten minutes
> apart.  This was with Exchange 5.0.2195.6713, according to their SMTP
> banner.  So, it does work most of the time.

Here's even more information:

	http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.exchange.admin/browse_thread/thread/2ac7d5cfc8719427/d06f4489b7207ddb?lnk=gst&q=greylisting&rnum=1#d06f4489b7207ddb