Does Microsoft Exchange retry delivery correctly?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Sep 16 15:25:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 03:04:45PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > One such server identified itself as `Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service,
> > Version: 6.0.3790.1830' in its SMTP banner, and as `Microsoft Exchange
> > V6.5' in the e-mail headers.  Is this a recent version?  I'm wondering
> > if a recent change broke the retries.  Does anyone know of a patch or
> > a configuration option that corrects this behavior?
>
> microsoft exchange DTRT.  these are probably forged identity headers coming
> from a botted host running spamware.

My most recent instance was from dakofa.dk, a legitimate site in
Denmark.  `mconnect mail.dakofa.dk' yields that banner.  I had to add
their IP address to our greylist whitelist to permit their e-mail to
get through.