Does Microsoft Exchange retry delivery correctly?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Sep 16 14:17:04 UTC 2006

Has anyone else noticed problems with Microsoft Exchange and DCC
greylisting?  Until recently, I've been telling people that Exchange
does follow the SMTP standards correctly.  Lately however, I've seen
a couple of instances where Exchange never retried delivery after
a 452 response from our MTA.

One such server identified itself as `Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service,
Version: 6.0.3790.1830' in its SMTP banner, and as `Microsoft Exchange
V6.5' in the e-mail headers.  Is this a recent version?  I'm wondering
if a recent change broke the retries.  Does anyone know of a patch or
a configuration option that corrects this behavior?