Database size less then 2GB

Wed Jul 26 03:37:06 UTC 2006

> From: Horst Scheuermann

> > The maximum size of the database is supposed to be controlled by
> > - a hard 3 GByte limit
> >      If systems that can handle larger databases and larger mmap()
> >      windows become common, that should be changed.
> >
> >  - half of physical memory less 512 MByte, determined from
> >     physmem_total(), sysconf(_SC_PHYS_PAGES), sysctl(mib, ...),
> >     or pstat_getstatic(), depending on which is available
>
> physical memory is 8GB
>
> >  - the RLIMIT_AS, if available and sane
> >
> >  - the RLIMIT_RSS, if available and sane
>
> not available

Tonight I released version 1.3.40 including changes that cause
dccd to log the memory size it computes and from where when -d is
added to DCCD_ARGS in /var/dcc/dcc_conf and `/var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC start`
is run.

Another change is to relax the 3 GByte limit for 64-bit systems.

See also the --with-db-memory=MB setting for the ./configure script
mentioned in the INSTALL.html file or
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/INSTALL.html#envtbl