Database size less then 2GB

Horst Scheuermann Horst.Scheuermann@uni-trier.de
Mon Jul 24 06:39:45 UTC 2006

> I cannot see why building dccd and dbclean with 64-bit ints and pointers
> would by itself let the database become larger.

it worked that way

> The maximum size of the database is supposed to be controlled by
> - a hard 3 GByte limit
>      If systems that can handle larger databases and larger mmap()
>      windows become common, that should be changed.
>
>  - half of physical memory less 512 MByte, determined from
>     physmem_total(), sysconf(_SC_PHYS_PAGES), sysctl(mib, ...),
>     or pstat_getstatic(), depending on which is available

physical memory is 8GB

>  - the RLIMIT_AS, if available and sane
>
>  - the RLIMIT_RSS, if available and sane

not available

> My guess is that the last two are at issue.  Does the `limit` or
> `limits` shell command for the UID that runs dbclean and dccd say
> for those two limits?
> See the getrlimit man page

ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 65536
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 6852955
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 65536
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 9276350

mfG
Horst Scheuermann         0651 201 3436
Universitätsrechenzentrum (URT)
Abteilung zentrale Systeme