DCC 1.3.39 and Spamassassin 3.1.3 Spamassassin gets timeout

Tue Jul 18 14:27:04 UTC 2006

> From: Dirk Boeing <db@boeing-it.de>

> Im unsing Spamassassin 3.1.3 on a FreeBSD System. Since the last

> Spamassassin invokes dccproc with options -H -x 0 -a "ip-adress". I
> tested it manually with dccproc -H -x 0 -a "ip-adress" < spammail and
> got a reply from the dcc server after about 3 Minutes. Trying the same
> without -a "ip-adress" returned a result after a few seconds.
>
> Is this a bug, or why does it take so long to get an answer from the dcc
> server?

dccproc -H -x 0 -a "ip-adress" worked for me just now.

All of the DCC client programs get answers in less than a second when
things are working correctly.
Consider The average round trip time or RTT reported for each known server.

The DCC client programs never wait more than 8 seconds for an answer,
but under certain, fairly uncommon circumstances can try a total of 3
times.  I think it is impossible for dccproc to give an answer after
3 minutes unless something is stalling the execution of dccproc.  Is
your DNS system working?

The most common cause of delays or failures by dccproc is a firewall
that blocks returning UDP packets from port 6277 on the DCC servers.

The second most common cause is the sending too many requests and
triggering the DoS defenses of the servers.  Using dccproc more
than 10,000 or 20,000 times per day will do that.  The current version
of dccproc automatically starts dccifd when dccproc has been used a lot,
but you may need to teach dccifd where to find the dccifd socket.