How to improve DCC handling of attachments?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 7 19:09:49 UTC 2006

I'm just looking at a complaint from a user about DCC unexpectedly
rejecting an e-mail message.  It had a single sender, a single
recipient and unique content as an attachment.  Clearly, it was not
bulk mail.  However, DCC had already seen 2801 messages with the same
fuz2 checksum, and rejected it as bulk mail.  This behavior is quite
confusing to users, and difficult for me to explain to them.

It was a multi-part MIME message, apparently generated by Microsoft
Exchange.  The first part was text/plain, with a fixed format except
for the name of the attached file.  The second part was
application/x-zip-compressed.  I presume that DCC ignored that part
in computing the checksum.

How can messages like this be treated as unique by DCC without opening
the doors to spam?