SA 3.1.3 + DCC 1.3.

Jeff Mincy mincy@rcn.com
Fri Jun 23 01:38:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com wrote:

>> From: Jeff Mincy
>
>> The empty string is kind of a bummer.   The empty string is also
>> returned for various problems.
>>
>> Would it be possible to return a different string for whitelisted
>> messages?  Maybe something like:
>
> Which empty string?

The empty string result that you get for whitelisted messages.
For example with dccproc:
   bash% result=`/usr/local/bin/dccproc -H -S mail_host -w /var/dcc/whiteclnt -R < /home/jeff/mail/backup/msg._KuO`
   bash% echo "'$result'"
   ''
   bash% result=`/usr/local/bin/dccproc -H -R < /home/jeff/mail/backup/msg._KuO`
   bash% echo "'$result'"
	Fuz2=many'

I have also seen empty string results for timeouts and also crashes
when using dccproc (eg like the crash fixed in 1.3.25).  I want
locally whitelisted messages to have a different result than timeouts
and crashes.

> Why should the DCC client say "whitelisted" when it already says "ok",
> "ok", and "ok"?  Can't whatever is trying to parse the X-DCC line
> look for "ok" as easily as "whitelisted"?

The ok/ok/ok would be so that any program that reads the existing
result string, such as SpamAssassin, will work without modification.

The explicit 'whitelist' would be useful for looking at log files.  I
save the dcc result in the X-Spam-DCC header.  For the 349 results,
215 had a Body count, 134(349-215) DCC results were blank, and 126 had
a many count.

    bash% fgrep X-Spam-DCC mail/logs/log_dev_null | wc -l
    349
    bash% fgrep X-Spam-DCC mail/logs/log_dev_null | fgrep Body | wc -l
    215
    bash% fgrep X-Spam-DCC mail/logs/log_dev_null | fgrep many | wc -l
    126

An explicit 'whitelist' result would tell me which messages were
locally whitelisted and which messages went out to the DCC servers.

-jeff