trying to greylist only

Sun May 7 22:49:55 UTC 2006

> From: john crawford

> In testing, I'm getting dcc server bulkiness lookups
> when I'm trying to ONLY use greylisting functionality with grey-query.
> So if a message meets reject criterion (like, perhaps, MANY),  I'll not
> greylist reject if the . Since I
> have grey-query on the dccifd invocation text, I expect only
> greylisting to be active.
> as in
> " body no-reject rcvd-nxt grey-query"
> I have
> GREY_CLIENT_ARGS=IPmask/24
> GREY_ENABLE=ON
>
> I'm hoping to test implement grey-query with the local grey server
> referenced, yet suppress network dcc server lookups. I'm missing
> something.

I understand neither the goal nor what undesirable things are happening.
Qeury-only greylisting is unlikely to be of any use except for testing
and diagnosing problems.  Greylist embargoes can never end with grey-query,
because "query" implies "don't change the database," and that implies
not adding the records that say when the embargo started.  With query-only,
every message will be met with an "embargo #1"

With the normal settings, greylisting (i.e. 4yz rejection) is done only
if the message is not determined to be spam by other tests including
the normal DCC threshold (e.g. MANY).

> as a second query, I'll see yahoo group postings come in and be
> greylisted. Then I'll see a repeat, with same ip, sender and recipient,
> yet the embargo number becomes #1 again.

Was other mail from that IP addressed rejected as spam between the
first and second greylist 4yz rejections?  Spam resets the

>      You will notice of course the dcc metric activity happening there (and
> I'd prefer just greylisting in this instance).

I don't understand.

If you want to turn of DCC filtering for a single recipient, then
add "option dcc-off" to the userdirs/$USER/whiteclnt file for that user.

If that user wants all of the spam from Yahoo, you may need to add IP
address, List-ID, or other whitelisting lines to that user's whiteclnt
file.

The scripts in /var/dcc/cgi-bin are a proof-of-concept CGI interface that
allow users to monitor their log files and maintain their whiteclnt files.