dccifd failover under load

Ian Brewer Ian_Brewer@vwiz.co.uk
Wed May 3 08:23:57 UTC 2006

Vernon,

I am using version 1.3.31 of the client and server code. The only thing
I have tweaked is the DCCD_ARGS to "-R 4000,50,300,0.1" to make sure the
servers accept the request rate.

I have attached the output of cdcc info while stopping "server1".

Some interesting times are:

08:48:11 *server1 100% of 32 requests ok    0.55 ms RTT
           server2  75% of 32 requests ok    0.63 ms RTT

08:48:12  server1 100% of  4 requests ok   10.65 ms RTT
          *server2 100% of 32 requests ok    0.95 ms RTT

08:48:17  server1 100% of  4 requests ok   10.65 ms RTT
          *server2 100% of 32 requests ok    0.54 ms RTT

08:48:18
# skipping asking DCC server 64 seconds more
           server1  20% of 20 requests ok 3969.25 ms RTT
          *server2 100% of 32 requests ok    1.07 ms RTT

/var/log/maillog on the client has the following entries:
May  3 08:48:18 client dccifd[28141]: no DCC answer from server1 after
6062 ms
May  3 08:48:18 client dccifd[28141]: no DCC answer from server1 after
6032 ms

It looks to me that there are queued requests to server1 even though we
are using server2 happily. When the client times out these requests, the
switching code get confused somehow and I get a 64 second timeout.

Do you think this is a linux only issue? If it would help, I could
install a freeBSD client and retest.

Ian.