rcvd_nxt and IP checksum

Mon Apr 17 13:28:30 UTC 2006

> From: Sidney Markowitz

> > 10 seconds or perhaps even 15 should be the default.
>
> Ok, I'll change it. Just to make sure, I'll first discuss with the other
> SpamAsassin developers what the implications might be on SpamAsassin
> performance. I haven't yet been told exactly why it was decreased to 5 seconds
> from the longer timeout that it apparently defaulted to in older versions of
> SpamAssassin.

The change might be my fault.  The typical DCC response arrives in
perhaps 300 milliseconds as can be seen in the ms RTT for the chosen
(marked by '*') server in the output of `cdcc info`.  Long delays are
needed only when dccifd or dccproc fails to get any answer despite
retransmissions and then tries some other server and still gets nothing
, or when a client has sent more than 400,000 requests per day and the
server DoS defenses are delaying responses by 4 seconds are many seconds
needed.