start-dccm: line 152: unexpected EOF

Mon Apr 10 14:17:20 UTC 2006

> From: Gary V

> I have seen this on several systems at this point.
> All of these systems are using a new Debian Etch beta CD with
> Linux kernel 2.6.15-1-486 with DCC 1.3.31

Did you add DCC version 1.3.31?  I have been told that Debian is shipping
with 1.2.74 or something even more encient.

> I am using the supplied init scrip to start dccifd but

Did you mean to start dccifd or dccm?

> of course the same error occurs if running start-dccm by itself:
>
> ./start-dccm: line 152: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> ./start-dccm: line 198: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> In an attempt to try something, changing the single quotes on line 152 to back ticks:
>           echo "."  | tr -d `\012`
> results in:
> ./start-dccm: line 150: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> ./start-dccm: line 198: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> changing the single quotes on line 150 to back ticks:
>           echo "    stopping dccm PID $PID "  | tr -d `\012`
> results in:
> ./start-dccm: line 104: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> ./start-dccm: line 198: syntax error: unexpected end of file

back-quotes would be the wrong choice for those two `tr` commands.
They need either single or double quotes to escape the backslash.

> looking at line 104:
>           -o `expr "X$ARGV0" : '\(X[-_a-zA-Z0-9]*\)` != "X$ARGV0"; then

That looks like the bug.  Evidently whatever you have for a Bourne shell
has different rules for quotes than as /bin/sh everywhere else including
other Linux systems.  There is a missing single-quote on the third arg
to `expr`.  That line should be

       -o `expr "X$ARGV0" : '\(X[-_a-zA-Z0-9]*\)'` != "X$ARGV0"; then

That bug was present before the first version of the DCC was released
years ago.

The idea of running multiple instances of dccm each with a different
argv[0] value but all using the same DCC home directory has not been
exactly popular.  I could probably safely remove that stuff.