Effect of changing the dccm -G option?

Fri Mar 31 03:59:24 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> If I change the dccm `-G' option from `-Gon' to `-GIPmask/16',
> does this invalidate all of the triples that are stored in the
> greylist database?

yes

>                     I don't really want all of the greylisted
> sites to have to reestablish their greylist entries at the same
> time.  Some of them are quite slow in retrying.  The result might
> be long delays in lots of e-mail.

You could run with an embargo of 0 seconds for a while to refill
the greylist database.  However, I think it is not worthwhile.  On
average the hiccup would not be longer that typical 15-30 minute
retry time.  The SMTP clients that are very slow to retry tend to
have separate problems that make them slow on all mail.

> I'm encountering quite a few sites that use multiple outgoing e-mail
> servers, and rotate their retries between the servers.  With `-Gon',
> they have to rotate completely before the e-mail gets through.  I'm
> looking for a way to deal with that situation.

-GIPmask/24 might be good eough.
-Gweak-IP is about as effective as real greylisting.