Some easy dcc questions

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Fri Mar 10 15:36:22 UTC 2006

I'm new to dcc and have been running it on several Solaris systems
for about a week now with really terrific results.  As questions come
up, I've been able to find answers in the man pages (thanks!) except for
a couple of small points, so I'm asking those here.

- I'm using the public servers for dcc and running a local dccd with -Gon.
   Do I need to run dbclean out of cron?  The fact that dbclean also takes
   the -Gon flag makes me think I should run it, but I'm not sure what the
   rest of the args would be.  When I run "dbclean -Gon" by hand I just
   get a usage message.

- When I get the syslog'd summary line at midnight, I'm not understanding
   what each of the stats mean:

	greylist embargoed 1348 messages to 1970 targets;
	detected 1946 spam, ignored for 0, rejected for 2562,
	and discarded for 0 targets among 4413 total messages
	for 38947 targets
	since 03/08/06 00:00:00

   I think "detected 1946 spam" are the messages received above the
   -t rej-thold (is that right?) but what is the "ignored for 0" line
   counting?  And the "rejected for 2562" is a higher number than 1946
   because the 1946 messages were addresses to 2562 recipients?  Or am
   I totally off base?  I'm also not getting what the "discarded for 0"
   portion is counting.

- Is there a good way for me to judge the success of greylisting at
   my site?  For example, looking at how many connections were turned
   away by greylisting where a decent amount of time has passed and the
   sender never re-connected?

Thanks,

-andy