How to track whitelist matches?

Wed Mar 8 18:38:44 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> We have accumulated a whitelist containing over 16,000 `ok env_from'
> and `ok from' lines, some dating back over three years.  Many of these
> will no longer be effective, and could be deleted from the whitelist.
> Others must be retained.
>
> I'm looking for a way to determine which whitelist entries are
> effective in matching incoming messages and preventing them from
> being rejected.  Can I, for example, compute checksums from each
> of the whitelist entries and them look them up in the DCC database
> to obtain statistics?  Is there another way to do this?

That is one way.  Something like `dccproc -QC -f env_from` feed
fake mail messages would produce checksums.   As in

dccproc -QC -f user@example.com <<EOF
from: user@example.com

stuff
EOF

Another way might be to log everything by setting DCCM_LOG_AT=0 in
/var/dcc/dcc_conf and then applying `grep ^env_From` to /var/dcc/log
to see which are still being used.
Given the modern volume of spam, logging everything wouldn't involve
many more bytes than just logging spam.