dccm misbehaving on Solaris 9

Wed Mar 1 19:12:33 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> this one this morning:
>
> 	fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK resolve lock /usr/local/dcc/map 3): Deadlock situation detected/avoided

I might have found something relevant to that one.  It is probably
unrelated to hassles with the whitelist, becaues I think it indicates
that the process already has an fcntl() lock on /usr/local/dcc/map and
is trying to get another.  In theory that should be prevented by mutexes
within the application.

> Yes, the fdopen() errors are peculiar.  What can I do to investigate
> the EAGAIN situation?

Andy Rudoff's suggestion of checking swap space sounds interesting.

> > "Too many recipients" happens only when a single mail message has
> > more than 1024 recipients.  So it sounds as if either the dccm process
> > has some serious memory corruption or the system was receiving mail
> > messages with crazy numbers of targets.
>
> I don't think sendmail permits that many recipients.  The messages in
> question appeared many times, but only over an interval of ten seconds.

The "too many recipients" message ought to be in the /var/dcc/log (or
/usr/local/dcc/log ?) files for those messages.  It would be interesting
to see if there are a lot of env_To: lines in those files.

] From: Andy Rudoff

] That's my best guess at what caused the above problem: the system may
] have been out of swap space.  If you catch it in the act, you can use
] "swap -l" to look at the status of the swap space.

thanks.