dccm misbehaving on Solaris 9

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 1 14:52:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 07:31:53AM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills
>
> > DCC had been running for about ten days on our mail server, and
> > apparently working quite nicely.  In the last day or so, people
> > began to report bulk mail being rejected, even though they had
> > whitelisted it.  Today's logs showed this message regularly:
>
> By "complete restart" do you rebooting the computer or only restarting
> dccm?  I've been trying to reproduce the failure from fdopen().  That
> message from dccm only happens when fdopen() returns 0 and set errno
> to EAGAIN, but the Solaris `man fdopen` does not mention EAGAIN.

I meant rcDCC.  After the restart, there were no further errors until
this one this morning:

	fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK resolve lock /usr/local/dcc/map 3): Deadlock situation detected/avoided

Yes, the fdopen() errors are peculiar.  What can I do to investigate
the EAGAIN situation?

> "Too many recipients" happens only when a single mail message has
> more than 1024 recipients.  So it sounds as if either the dccm process
> has some serious memory corruption or the system was receiving mail
> messages with crazy numbers of targets.

I don't think sendmail permits that many recipients.  The messages in
question appeared many times, but only over an interval of ten seconds.