dccm misbehaving on Solaris 9

Wed Mar 1 14:31:53 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> DCC had been running for about ten days on our mail server, and
> apparently working quite nicely.  In the last day or so, people
> began to report bulk mail being rejected, even though they had
> whitelisted it.  Today's logs showed this message regularly:
>
> 	dccm[2920]: [ID 702911 mail.error] fdopen(whiteclnt): Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> It changed to:
>
> 	dccm[2920]: [ID 112791 mail.error] too many recipients
>
> for some time, and then back to the first message.  The errors were
> logged when the client whitelist was being rebuilt.  After a complete
> restart, dccm seems to have returned to normal.  This is with DCC
> 1.3.29 under Solaris 9 on a 4-CPU 480R.

By "complete restart" do you rebooting the computer or only restarting
dccm?  I've been trying to reproduce the failure from fdopen().  That
message from dccm only happens when fdopen() returns 0 and set errno
to EAGAIN, but the Solaris `man fdopen` does not mention EAGAIN.

"Too many recipients" happens only when a single mail message has
more than 1024 recipients.  So it sounds as if either the dccm process
has some serious memory corruption or the system was receiving mail
messages with crazy numbers of targets.