AW: FreeBSD 5.4 kqueue leak in getaddrinfo()

Mon Feb 27 22:50:11 UTC 2006

> From: "Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR"

> There is a problem report and a suggested patch for kern_event.c
> available that may solve the issue.  I had similar problems on FreeBSD
> 5.4 which went away when I applied the patch
>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=75795
>
> The problem has been fixed in FreeBSD 6.0

> > Kludges like occassionally trying open("/dev/null") to see if file
> > descripters are short and then restarting seem too nasty.
> >
> > What should I do?

That patch does fix the problem, but I'm not sure it answers the
question.  Should I

  1. advise anyone who sees problems that might be related to to
     apply that patch?  (e.g. with this thread in the archives for
     this mailing list)

  2. do as another person advised me privately, and tell people to
      upgrade to FreeBSD 6.0?

  3. kludge dccm and dccifd to restart themselves when the current
     free FD is large?

  4. write a script that would apply that kernel patch?

  5. include a close() function in the DCC source to replace the crazy
     version in the FreeBSD libc_r that does nothing if fstat() fails?

I'm inclined to go with #1 and follow #2 for my own systems.

Now if I could only figure out the original Solaris problem....