becoming a public server

Frank Black frank.black@ironhillhardware.com
Sat Feb 4 11:14:23 UTC 2006

Vernon,

> You are right.
> but network hassles are the most common cause of problems reaching the
> public servers,
> but that also is fixed with a local server.
>
> also, below 100K messages/day, it is best to use the public DCC servers.
> At 1 Mmsgs/day you must run your own, usually private server or servers.
> The DoS defenses start delaying responses to clients that make
> more than 100K requests/day and will ignore most requests at 1 M/day.
> At 1 M/day, you'll also get nagging notes from me and eventually
> be added to the blacklist used by the public servers and so see
> them disappear for your DCC clients.

OK.  Looks like I'm headed for setting up some servers then.

> More public DCC servers are always welcome and needed.
> A public server must keep up with the updates.  It also needs at least 2
> or
> 3 GByte of RAM (private servers today need at least 2 GByte and can
> use more).  4 GByte is not too many.  There are also a few minor
> cron scripts related to sharing data about giant clients and that
> blacklist.

Excellent.  4GB is not a problem - we are primarily a hardware company, so
that's one thing I can get a lot of!  Any advice on how much bandwidth and
CPU a public server uses?

What information do you need from me in order to add my servers to the
public rotation?  (Or, I guess a better question might be, what's my next
step?)

Thanks.

--
Frank Black