Resolution of Novell Groupwise greylist failure

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Feb 4 02:29:18 UTC 2006

Recently, we've had many complaints that certain sites were unable to
send e-mail to our users.  The sendmail logs typically showed that the
first delivery attempt was rejected by DCC greylisting with a
temporary failure code, but the site never retried delivery.  Most of
these sites turned out to be running Novell GroupWise as their e-mail
server.

We finally opened a support case with Novell to get to the root of
this problem.  The cause is a bug in both popular versions of the
GroupWise product.  It's fixed in recent builds.  Here are the defect
numbers and upgrade recommendations from Novell:

    GW7 126671 - in any build after Sept 29 05 (get latest SP1 GWIA FTF)
    GW6.5 138392 - in any build after Dec 15 05 (get GW6.5 SP6 public beta)

    Both available at:
    http://support.novell.com/filefinder/6393/beta.html

    It is also available as a knowledge base article as TID 10099213,
    although this needs to be modified to include more information.

If any of you experience the same problem with DCC greylisting and
Novell Groupwise sites, please advise them to upgrade according to
the information cited above.