becoming a public server

Fri Jan 27 14:32:40 UTC 2006

> From: "Frank Black"

> Right now we only get a few thousand, and I've set up DCC as part of our
> Mailscanner/SpamAssassin setup.  However, we are in the midst of a merger,
> and I am told I will be inheriting approximately 1 million messages per
> day shortly.  Based on how DCC is currently performing, with only a few
> thousand messages we get pretty frequest slow responses, and some
> timeouts.  The DCC public servers look pretty busy to me!  (I could be
> wrong... am I wrong?)

You are right.
but network hassles are the most common cause of problems reaching the
public servers,
but that also is fixed with a local server.

also, below 100K messages/day, it is best to use the public DCC servers.
At 1 Mmsgs/day you must run your own, usually private server or servers.
The DoS defenses start delaying responses to clients that make
more than 100K requests/day and will ignore most requests at 1 M/day.
At 1 M/day, you'll also get nagging notes from me and eventually
be added to the blacklist used by the public servers and so see
them disappear for your DCC clients.

> So, since it'll be big trouble for me to have the SPAM solution fail in
> any way, I'd certainly like to run my own servers to ensure that I can
> protect my new group of users from SPAM.  Since DCC seems to be pretty
> effective so far, and it looks like a good effort, I figured - since I'm
> putting up all these servers, why not help the effort in general?  So,
> that's where I'm at.

More public DCC servers are always welcome and needed.
A public server must keep up with the updates.  It also needs at least 2 or
3 GByte of RAM (private servers today need at least 2 GByte and can
use more).  4 GByte is not too many.  There are also a few minor
cron scripts related to sharing data about giant clients and that blacklist.