Why is dccd reporting database broken?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jan 23 04:24:34 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:45:00PM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills
>
> > Later, I noticed that an e-mail message from one of our internal
> > servers had been rejected for bulkiness.  This shouldn't have happened
> > because the server's IP address is listed in a CIDR block in the
> > server whitelist.  What could have gone wrong?  I'm bracing myself
> > for lots of complaints tomorrow is this problem persists.

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate the help.  We have a campus-
wide calendar server that's been broken for a month because of an
`upgrade'.  I don't want to do it again with e-mail!

> Are there permission or other problems with the server whitelist?

They haven't changed from the previous version of DCC, except that
I removed the `many  from    Hahaha <hahaha@sexyfun.net>' line from
the whitecommon file because dbclean complained about it on my test
server.  All files are world-readable.

> Was dccm using the server it should have been, as indicated by
> the X-DCC header?

Yes, although both dccd servers should contain the same data.

> Was the IP address in the server's whitelist?  You can check
> by feeding a test message to `dccproc -QCi /tmp/msg -a 10.2.3.4`

This doesn't show an IP= field at all, just this:

> > We have two class B networks that need to be whitelisted.  They're in
> > a file called localnets.wh that's included by the whitelist file, as
> > 512 /24 subnets.  I thought I could work around this problem by
> > including it in the whiteclnt file, but then I got:
> >
> > 	dccm[15639]: [ID 702911 mail.error] too many CIDR blocks in line 513 of localnets.wh included from whiteclnt
> >
> > The limit seems to be 64.  I hope that limit doesn't apply to the
> > server whitelist?  Can I whitelist those two networks using larger
> > CIDR blocks?
>
> You can have as many /16 or smaller blocks as you want in server whitelist.
> CIDR blocks in client whitelists can be as large as you want, but there
> can be only 64.

Ah, I see.

> It would probably be best to whitelist your two class-B networks with
> two lines in your client whitelists.

Yes, I've just done that.  That should work nicely.  Thanks.