Why is dccd reporting database broken?

Mon Jan 23 03:45:00 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> Later, I noticed that an e-mail message from one of our internal
> servers had been rejected for bulkiness.  This shouldn't have happened
> because the server's IP address is listed in a CIDR block in the
> server whitelist.  What could have gone wrong?  I'm bracing myself
> for lots of complaints tomorrow is this problem persists.

Are there permission or other problems with the server whitelist?

Was dccm using the server it should have been, as indicated by
the X-DCC header?

Was the IP address in the server's whitelist?  You can check
by feeding a test message to `dccproc -QCi /tmp/msg -a 10.2.3.4`

> We have two class B networks that need to be whitelisted.  They're in
> a file called localnets.wh that's included by the whitelist file, as
> 512 /24 subnets.  I thought I could work around this problem by
> including it in the whiteclnt file, but then I got:
>
> 	dccm[15639]: [ID 702911 mail.error] too many CIDR blocks in line 513 of localnets.wh included from whiteclnt
>
> The limit seems to be 64.  I hope that limit doesn't apply to the
> server whitelist?  Can I whitelist those two networks using larger
> CIDR blocks?

You can have as many /16 or smaller blocks as you want in server whitelist.
CIDR blocks in client whitelists can be as large as you want, but there
can be only 64.

It would probably be best to whitelist your two class-B networks with
two lines in your client whitelists.  CIDR blocks in in server whitelists
are expanded to equivalent checksum entries.  There's not likely to be
any profit in expending the server database by an extra 128K entries,
although these days 128K entries more or less don't amount to much.