flooding speed

Thu Jan 12 00:49:54 UTC 2006

> From: michael <michael@spconnect.com>

> > After nscd was bounced, ncsd was about 1000 times smaller, and dccd
> > started keeping up with the incoming floods.
>
> Dumb question:
>
> Why is the person using ncsd? It tends to be more of problem. It really is
> only necessary when using NIS/NFS.
>
> Bind or tinydns would seem to be a better choice.

Tinydns?--well, there's no accounting for tastes, which is why I also
haven't and won't urge the owners of that system to avoid nscd.  In
fairness to it, it had been running for at least 1 and perhaps 2 years.

My point was not about the evils of do-all-cache daemons but that
if your DCC server has less memory that it sysconf/physmem/etc. suggest,
perhaps because of some other big programs, it might pay to investigate.