flooding speed

Wed Jan 11 23:34:55 UTC 2006

I've seen something interesting on a site that uses sendmail+dccm+MAPS+SBL
and runs a DCC server on Solaris.  The DCC hit rate had dropped
significantly.  Flooding from its peers was always a day or two behind.
Nscd had grown to more than 3 GBytes and a resident set of more than 1 GByte.

After nscd was bounced, ncsd was about 1000 times smaller, and dccd
started keeping up with the incoming floods.

More interesting (to me), the DCC hit rate increased by more than 3 times,
which shows the value of up-to-the-second DCC data.