INSTALL.txt

Thu Jan 5 16:47:34 UTC 2006

> From: Nigel Horne <njh@bandsman.co.uk>

> >>To get dccm to start I had to mkdir /var/run/dcc, this is not mentioned
> >>in the INSTALL.txt that I could see.

> Because if you follow INSTALL.txt, you are told to restart sendmail
> before setting
> up the above,

Ok, point taken.

>               and sendmail fails to start because dccm isn't running.

Are you sure that sendmail does not start?  I have often seen sendmail
whine about the permissions of the UNIX domain milter socket when the
socket does not exist, but I have never seen sendmail fail to start.

] From: Nigel Horne <njh@bandsman.co.uk>

] >>I followed the instructions in INSTALL.txt, but when I did a make in
] >>/etc/mail (after adding feature(dcc)) I get this warning. Is it
] >>safe to ignore it?
] >>
] >>[root@bandsman mail]# make
] >>/usr/share/sendmail-cf/feature/dcc.m4:75: m4: Warning: Excess arguments
] >>to built-in `define' ignored
] >
] >On which flavors of UNIX and sendmail do you see that error message?
] >
] FC4 is Linux, not UNIX.
] Sendmail is 8.13.4.

What Makefile are you using?  I had assumed you were running the
FreeBSD  /etc/mail/Makefile.  I thought that was the only UNIX flavor
that expected one to run `make` to start sendmail.

And again, from where did you get the DCC source?  This matters because
most of the third parties that redistribute it make modifications.
Did you modify the misc/dcc.m4 file?  When you copied misc/dcc.m4 to
/usr/share/sendmail-cf/feature/dcc.m4, did you use a technique that
might lose an m4 quote character (' or `) or parentheses?
I trust you copied misc/dcc.m4 after running ./configure instead
copying dcc.m4.in.