segmentation fault in dccproc (1.3.24)

Jeff Mincy mincy@rcn.com
Sat Dec 10 22:06:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com wrote:

>> It was easy enough, once I recompiled with -g.  Just out of curiosity,
>> is there an easy way to get compiler flags like those in DBGFLAGS set
>> during ./configure?
>
> I usually recommend
>     /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc -eDBGFLAGS=-g
>
> ./configure records a bunch of environment variables in updatedcc
> as it is generated.

Thanks.
I completely forgot about updatedcc while debugging the problem.

>> BTW, in case anybody else runs into the same problem.
>> This dccproc error was caused messages like this in 3.0.4 SpamAssassin:
>>   DCC -> check failed: Died at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 806.
>> The error message just meant that DCC aborted without printing the DCC
>> header.
>
> What generated the bogus Return-Path header?  Of course dccproc should
> not crash, but neither should whatever it was generate bogus headers.

The bogus Return-Path header came directly from a spam message.  The
spam message was not trying very hard to evade filters, so I'd guess
that the originator of the spam message was misconfigured.  I (briefly)
thought about adding a procmail/formail rule to rewrite the bogus header as
coming from a special 'missing-host-name.com' domain, but he problem doesn't
happen often enough (much less than 1% of spam messages this kind of broken
return-path header).

-jeff