Greylisting

Ugo Bellavance ugob@camo-route.com
Wed Dec 7 16:12:05 UTC 2005

Vernon Schryver <mailto:vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>       I've seen that in some greylisting implementation, it could be
>> set in "learning mode", meaning that it sees traffic going on, adds
>> some triplets to the DB, but don't delay mail.  Is this supported by
>> DCC's greylisting implementation?
>
> yes, by specifying an embargo of 0 seconds.
> However, in practice, this is useless.  If your correspondents' mail
> systems don't retry when you first turn on greylisting, then they
> won't retry after a long hiatus.

It is only to reduce the delays that I would do that.  While talking
about delays, what are the delays to be expected?  Do most SMTP client
retry after 10 seconds, 15 min, 30 min?

>> To help the process, I guess I only have to add entries to
>> /var/dcc/whitelist?
>
> yes, you can whitelist senders.

Ok, so an entry on the whitelist will not be subject to delay, but will
it also disable regular DCC checks for this entry?

>>       Then, if I'm using SpamAssassin with MailScanner, I must
>> disable the DCC plugin in the v310.pre config file, since dccm will
>> add headers that can be interperted by SpamAssassinm, then configure
>> SpamAssassin to interpret these headers (and disable dccifd).
>
> I think SpamAssassin will skip using dccifd or dccproc if it sees
> an X-DCC header, so I do not know why it is necessary to fiddle with
> SpamAssassin.

Ah, I see... I'll check that.

> ] From: "Ugo Bellavance" <ugob@camo-route.com>
>
> ] Hi, (I'm re-posting since I think my message got caught by many spam
> ] filters (it got caught by mine))
>
> There's more than one copy in
> http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2005/thread.html

Oups, sorry.