spamassassin/dccifd: write(MTA socket,XX): Broken pipe

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick@colby.edu
Wed Dec 7 16:01:41 UTC 2005

At the risk of getting flamed, I'll crosspost to both the MailScanner
and DCC mailing lists...  There has been a thread of discussion on
the DCC list about "spamassassin/dccifd: write(MTA socket,XX): Broken pipe"
and what the dcc_timeout setting should be for SpamAssassin 3.1.
Apparently SA lowered the timeout number from 10 seconds to 5
seconds between SA 3.0.4 and 3.1.   The question is:  how to
make the broken pipe message go away if you are calling DCC from
SpamAssassin?

I added "dcc_timeout 10" to my spam.assassin.prefs.conf in my
MailScanner/etc directory (MS 4.47.4, Solaris 9).  It seems to
have reduced the number of broken pipe messages, but...  When
I ran MailScanner in debug mode, I saw no references to dcc_timeout
in the output.  Did I do the right thing?  Any other MS users
seeing this broken pipe complaint?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College