debian/spamassassin/dccifd: write(MTA socket,XX): Broken pipe

Ugo Bellavance ugob@camo-route.com
Wed Dec 7 00:55:46 UTC 2005

dcc-admin@rhyolite.com <mailto:dcc-admin@rhyolite.com> wrote:
>> From: robert_s@emailme.net.au
>
>> # cat /var/log/syslog |grep pipe
>> Dec  6 06:43:16 debian dccifd[1916]: write(MTA socket,94): Broken
>> pipe Dec  6 07:28:40 debian dccifd[2002]: write(MTA socket,87):
>> Broken pipe Dec  6 09:40:04 debian dccifd[2410]: write(MTA
>> socket,94): Broken pipe
>>
>> What does this signify?
>
> Those messages say that when dccifd tried to answer the MTA
> (SpamAssassin in this case), it found the socket closed or otherwise
> broken.
>
> Some versions of SpamAssassin have had a timeout that is too short.
> Try installing a newer version of SpamAssassin.

I have SpamAssassin (with MailScanner) version 3.1 and I get many of
those messages on many servers, low or high volume.  30 times yesterday
on my server that processes 300 msg/day.

What is the timeout value that is recommended?  What is the parameter?
dcc_timeout ?

Regards,

Ugo