debian/spamassassin/dccifd: write(MTA socket,XX): Broken pipe

Tue Dec 6 15:10:14 UTC 2005

> From: robert_s@emailme.net.au

> # cat /var/log/syslog |grep pipe
> Dec  6 06:43:16 debian dccifd[1916]: write(MTA socket,94): Broken pipe
> Dec  6 07:28:40 debian dccifd[2002]: write(MTA socket,87): Broken pipe
> Dec  6 09:40:04 debian dccifd[2410]: write(MTA socket,94): Broken pipe
>
> What does this signify?

Those messages say that when dccifd tried to answer the MTA (SpamAssassin
in this case), it found the socket closed or otherwise broken.

Some versions of SpamAssassin have had a timeout that is too short.
Try installing a newer version of SpamAssassin.

] From: robert_s@emailme.net.au

] I have UDP port 6277 open.

The best check for that is `cdcc info`

] Additionally - I get this message when I try to stop the dccifd daemon:
]
] # /etc/init.d/dcc-client stop
] Stopping DCC program interface daemon: dccifdstart-stop-daemon: warning:
] failed to kill 5645: No such process
] .
]
] Despite this, "ps ax" reveals the dccifd daemon (prior to running the stop
] script).

There is no file named "dcc-client" in the real DCC source.
There is instead /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC  (perhaps somewhere else
if you use `./configure --libexecdir=/some/where/else`)
The string "Stopping DCC program interface daemon" does not occur
in the real DCC source.

Did you install the real DCC source or one of the "improved" RPMs or
"packages" floating around?  The real source can be obtained at
http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/source/dcc.tar.Z
or
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/source/dcc.tar.Z
See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/