dcc/spamassassin/debian: write(MTA socket,NN): Broken pipe

robert_s@emailme.net.au robert_s@emailme.net.au
Tue Dec 6 10:00:14 UTC 2005

I have dcc installed on a debian sarge box for a small office mailserver.
I'm running sendmail and spamassassin.  I'm running the dccifd daemon
using the debian startup script.  I get the following intermittently in my
syslog:

# cat /var/log/syslog |grep pipe
Dec  6 06:43:16 debian dccifd[1916]: write(MTA socket,94): Broken pipe
Dec  6 07:28:40 debian dccifd[2002]: write(MTA socket,87): Broken pipe
Dec  6 09:40:04 debian dccifd[2410]: write(MTA socket,94): Broken pipe

A few other details:

My /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf:

dcc_dccifd_path /var/lib/dcc/dccifd
dcc_home /var/lib/dcc

Output from spamassassin --debug
debug: DCCifd is available: /var/lib/dcc/dccifd
debug: entering helper-app run mode
debug: DCCifd: got response: X-DCC-Servercave-Metrics:
debian.XXXXXXXX.net.au 118
3; Body=2213 Fuz1=27627 Fuz2=27630

My messages don't have the X-DCC header.

I have UDP port 6277 open.

Additionally - I get this message when I try to stop the dccifd daemon:

# /etc/init.d/dcc-client stop
Stopping DCC program interface daemon: dccifdstart-stop-daemon: warning:
failed to kill 5645: No such process
.

Despite this, "ps ax" reveals the dccifd daemon (prior to running the stop
script).

Can anybody help?  Are these issues important?  Have I done something wrong?