SpamAssassin, dccifd, and dccproc

Mon Dec 5 16:22:55 UTC 2005

> From: Paul Shields

> My understanding (using Spamassassin 3.0.x) is that it queries for
> dccifd by looking for a r/w socket, and if not found then falls back to
> dccproc.  If you define dcc_home in the local.cf file then Spamassassin
> looks in that directory for the dccifd socket. If it finds it then
> dccifd is used, else it will use dccproc. I'm not sure when you say
> 'checks for dccproc' every time that you are suggesting this test is
> made for every message. I believe it is only performed when spamd is
> launched (however, it may well check each time for a non-daemon process
> like spamassassin).

How common is spamd/spamc?  If almost all SpamAssassin installations
that use dccproc but ought to use dccifd also use spamd, then the code
in dccproc that starts dccifd will be a useless waste.

I wonder how many installations think they are using dccifd but
because they start spamd before dccifd are in fact using dccproc.