Why is Novell Groupwise broken?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Dec 4 20:43:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:36:41PM +0000, Stephen Carter wrote:

> > > Does anyone have a Novell Groupwise system that they could use to
> > > verify that it violates the SMTP standard for temporary failure after
> > > the DATA portion?  Could you do this and file a bug report with
> > > Novell?
>
> Well I have 6.5 and can verify it does work.
>
> GroupWise along with any other major software package should be kept
> up to date, but it would appear these sites you are coming across
> haven't upgraded to SP4, which is only to their detrement as they
> won't receive official support for it, else be simply told to patch
> their system then go back to the support line if it still doesn't
> work.

One site that failed to retry delivery claims to be running GroupWise
6.5 SP5.  Either Novell broke it in SP5, or the site has it badly
configured.  I'm guessing that it is a configuration error.  The admin
said ``The issue is with the embedded initial retry in GWise GWIA
(SMTP) of 20 minutes which is too long for most greylist solutions.''
I don't know how he configured it.  Twenty minutes seems reasonable
to me.  The SMTP standard recommends 30 minutes.