Why is Novell Groupwise broken?

Thu Dec 1 00:00:45 UTC 2005

> From: "Stephen Carter"

> I deal with many remote e-mail server administrators who either do
> not have the required administrator@domain e-mail address defined or
> simply ignore the e-mails I send and they run the lot from GroupWise
> to Exchange and every other type of SMTP gateway you can think of.

Among my pet peeves are operators of DCC clients who not only don't
fix their firewalls to pass responses to their DCC requests from
port 6277 on the public DCC servers, but cannot be contacted.

Then there are operators of DCC clients that send millions of
requests per day to the the public DCC servers to trip DoS defenses,
and also cannot be contacted.

In either case, they don't notice or care that their DCC clients
are not only wasting their bandwidth, but stalling for seconds for

Oh, well.  I guess Sturgeon's Law overrides Murphy's.