Why is Novell Groupwise broken?

Stephen Carter Stephen@retnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 23:36:41 UTC 2005

>>> Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca> 30/11/2005 20:01 >>>
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 02:50:48PM -0500, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> dcc-admin@rhyolite.com <mailto:dcc-admin@rhyolite.com> wrote:
> > The e-mail server that I've had to whitelist for greylisting most
> > frequently is Novell GroupWise Internet Agent.  It seems to ignore the
> > temporary delivery failure response code, and assume that the message
> > was successfully delivered.  The result is that the e-mail just
> > disappears.  I have requested each site to notify Novell of the
> > problem, but I suspect that most don't care to do so once I whitelist
> > the site.  They also may not have sufficient understanding of the
> > problem to file a definitive bug report.
> >
> > Does anyone have a Novell Groupwise system that they could use to
> > verify that it violates the SMTP standard for temporary failure after
> > the DATA portion?  Could you do this and file a bug report with
> > Novell?
>
> See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10084802.htm
>
> (linked from http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ at the bottom)
>
>Thanks for the information.  Are you sure that this is the same problem?
>In the cases I've been dealing with, nothing is returned to the user,
>and no errors appear in the logs.
>
>--
>-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Well I have 6.5 and can verify it does work.

GroupWise along with any other major software package should be kept up to date, but it would appear these sites you are coming across haven't upgraded to SP4, which is only to their detrement as they won't receive official support for it, else be simply told to patch their system then go back to the support line if it still doesn't work. Typical.... just like the numerous bugs in any other system, commerical or open source.

I deal with many remote e-mail server administrators who either do not have the required administrator@domain e-mail address defined or simply ignore the e-mails I send and they run the lot from GroupWise to Exchange and every other type of SMTP gateway you can think of.

SteveC