Why is Novell Groupwise broken?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Nov 30 19:43:06 UTC 2005

The e-mail server that I've had to whitelist for greylisting most
frequently is Novell GroupWise Internet Agent.  It seems to ignore the
temporary delivery failure response code, and assume that the message
was successfully delivered.  The result is that the e-mail just
disappears.  I have requested each site to notify Novell of the
problem, but I suspect that most don't care to do so once I whitelist
the site.  They also may not have sufficient understanding of the
problem to file a definitive bug report.

Does anyone have a Novell Groupwise system that they could use to
verify that it violates the SMTP standard for temporary failure after
the DATA portion?  Could you do this and file a bug report with
Novell?