Greylisting never permits from=<>

Philip Hachey PHachey@city.cornwall.on.ca
Wed Nov 9 15:40:38 UTC 2005

I've discovered a problem with dccm greylisting: messages with env_from's
of <> (which are completely valid -- return receipts, etc.) are never
learned and perpetually embargoed.  Ideally, this would be handled by dccm
and dccd as a triple (env_from=NULL,env_to=<receiver's
address>,relay=<sender IP>) but, apparently, this doesn't happen.  To work
around this, I put in my grey_whitelist the line "ok   env_from   <>", but
this obviously opens an easily exploited hole in greylisting as even never
before seen sender IP addresses would get through if the env_from is null
-- a common practice by spammers.