/var/dcc/map is not the size of a DCC map file

Mon Oct 31 16:13:15 UTC 2005

> From: Marc Perkel

> After upgrading to Spamassassin 3.10 I started getting this message in
> the log files:
>
> /var/dcc/map is not the size of a DCC map file
>
> I have another server that is not doing this - so I'm confused. What
> does this mean and how do I fix it?

The DCC client programs including cdcc, dccproc, dccifd, and dccm
share a memory mapped file containing IP addresses resolved from
names of DCC servers as well as current average round trip times (RTTs).
Because they need to write into that file, and because two of those
programs are set-UID to the user that owns that file, they need to
ensure that no mistakes have been made and that no one is playing any
evil games.  So they refuse to write to the file if it lacks certain
characteristics including the right size.

The format of the /var/dcc/map file has changed several times over the
years.  Newer versions of the DCC programs recognize and upgrade older
versions of the map file.  However, old versions of the DCC programs
cannot know what came after and so do not like new versions of the file.

I doubt that installing new SpamAssassin software would change that
file, /var/dcc/map.  Did you install (or restore) an older version of
the DCC programs?  The other, more obvious possibility is that
/var/dcc/map has simply been trashed.

If you are using the public DCC servers, the easiest fix is to delete
/var/dcc/map and /var/dcc/map/.txt and then install the current version
of the DCC programs.  Unless you have an extremely old version or broken
files, it should be sufficient to run /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc

If everything except /var/dcc/map is ok, then instead of installing
the current version of the DCC code, you could

   /bin/rm /var/dcc/map
   /usr/local/bin/cdcc "new map; load /var/dcc/map.txt"

It would almost certainly be best to upgrade to the current version with
updatedcc.