Using both dccifd and dccm, or dccm for greylisting only

Philip Hachey PHachey@city.cornwall.on.ca
Fri Oct 14 15:16:56 UTC 2005

For some time now, I have been using SpamAssassin along with dccifd for
DCC checking.

I now wish to enable greylisting in sendmail and I know that the DCC
milter, dccm, can do this for me.  Rather than looking at other
greylisting possibilities, I figured that, since I'm using DCC anyway,
this would be a good way to go.

My initial hope was that if dccm is working at the MTA (sendmail) level
and adding X-DCC headers, then SpamAssassin, when it gets its turn, would
recognize the header and not bother querying dccifd, instead deriving the
appropriate DCC score from the header.  If this was the case, I could gain
the benefit of greylisting and DCC checking all from dccm and not bother
with dccifd at all.  It would appear, however, that SpamAssassin does not
do this and, despite the presence of an X-DCC header, asks for values from
dccifd which queries the DCC servers for a second time on the message
(after dccm has already done this).

I therefore have two questions:

1) Is there a way to invoke dccifd such that *it* returns values (to
SpamAssassin) based on existing X-DCC headers instead of querying DCC
servers (because dccm has already done so)?

2) If the above is not possible, then is there a way to invoke dccm with
DCC checking disabled so that it can be used solely as a greylisting
milter?

Thanks for any help.
Regards,