Logos

Tue Oct 4 23:02:39 UTC 2005

> How about a Flash logo for DCC?

I think those who want a logo need something like
http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-xhtml10
that could be put on web pages like
http://validator.w3.org/
I doubt Flash would be a good choice for that.

There are other problems with Flash.  Which of the 93,482,384,741
versions would one chose?  Each seems to have its own incompatible
browser plug-in, often available only for some systems.

I've wasted too much time trying to make versions of Mozilla and
Netscape on FreeBSD {4,5}.* display flash stuff encountered on the web.
I've  reached a compromise with Mozilla's flash-blocker mechanism that
generally doesn't work for me except to stop the "Please Download This
Security Hole" pop-ups, which were what drove me to waste the time.

So far those who have expressed opinions favor

 #1 (blue text, black borders, and small version of non-reputations
    fixed to be as legible as the small reputations version)

 #7 (presumably with the smudges cleaned.  I don't know about borders)

Would it be better without the "Rhyolite Software, LLC" text?
I have no preference.  Years ago I was asked about a logo.  From the
silent reaction, I understood that my answer was wrong, but never got
around to trying again until now.  My answer then was a pointer to the
graphs on http://www.dcc-servers.net/

One comment about my lame initial attempt thought the watermark of
Mt. Rhyolite was supposed to be a house, as in clearinghouse.
I spent enough time looking for free drawing that might fit
to decide the mountain isn't so bad after all.