More dccm's on one host

Georg Graf georg.graf@wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Sep 13 02:14:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:03:17PM -0600, you wrote:

> > From: Georg Graf
>
> > > As far as the DCC code is concerned, running 2 dccm processes on one
> > > CPU should work, but it will test the inter-process locking of
> > > /var/dcc/whiteclnt.  The inter-thread locking is better tested, as
> > > well as more efficient.
> >
> > There is a problem with the pid file. This hurts a littel bit,
>
> /var/dcc/libexec/start-dccm -c dccm2 ...
> might help that problem.

Thanks, missed that ...

> It might not because it has been 3 years or more since I tested it.

[...]

> 2000 seems like a lot.
> If each mail messages needs on average 2 seconds, then -j 2000 would
> support 86,400,000 mail messages/day.
> Does your operating system tolerate 10,000 open files, including 2000
> socket?

I think so, because when I start dccm with -j 15000 it complains
like:

queue length 15000 larger than limit 2204.

And the 2204 is calculated within dccm.

I have:

kern.maxfilesperproc: 11095
kern.ipc.maxsockets: 25600

It is FreeBSD 5.4 on a 4GB SMP Machine.

Since I have only one dccm instance (again!) on a tcp socket
covering dcc for most of our sendmail machines, and there are
quite some slow links involved as it seems, at times I need
definitely more than 200 simultaneous milter connections. -j
seems to do the job for me perfectly.

Thanks,
  George

--
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Central and Internet Services Section