More dccm's on one host

Mon Sep 12 20:03:17 UTC 2005

> From: Georg Graf

> > As far as the DCC code is concerned, running 2 dccm processes on one
> > CPU should work, but it will test the inter-process locking of
> > /var/dcc/whiteclnt.  The inter-thread locking is better tested, as
> > well as more efficient.
>
> There is a problem with the pid file. This hurts a littel bit,

/var/dcc/libexec/start-dccm -c dccm2 ...
might help that problem.
It might not because it has been 3 years or more since I tested it.

> DEF_MAX_WORK is set to 200. I think, that in contrary to the
> manpage this is the default if -j is not specified.

Good point.  I've adjusted the man page.

I'm afraid to increase DEF_MAX_WORK because of lots of previous problems
with resource limits.

> I'll continue to run dccm with -j 2000 and see if this will work.

2000 seems like a lot.
If each mail messages needs on average 2 seconds, then -j 2000 would
support 86,400,000 mail messages/day.
Does your operating system tolerate 10,000 open files, including 2000
socket?