whitelisting "read" DSNs

Georg Graf georg.graf@wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Sep 12 15:16:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 02:15:55PM -0600, you wrote:

[...]

> perhaps, but only if I added that source to the DCC source.

I dont understand. regex.h on Linux is in
glibc-headers-2.3.2-95.33.rpm, on FreeBSD it's also in the libc.
Also on AIX there is regex in the system libc. I suppose on
solaris as well. Not quite sure about Win32. Why would you put
that into the dcc source?

> you can't successfully ship an open source package that requires
> users to fetch, install, and maintain bits from other places.

This would not be necessary, IMHO.

> > I see the point that dccd would not be able to use regexes. do
> > dccm / dccproc / dccifd internally work on checksums?
>
> yes.

What about exempting some whiteclnt options (e.g. ok regex
"bla-bla") and handling them differently?

[...]

> That's a classic example of why I think it is best to give each user
> a whiteclnt file, dcc{m,ifd} log directory, and tools to whitelist and
> turn things on or off for their individual tastes.

This is what I'm aiming for, but I am slow and busy ... I have
built a userdir.m4 file which does a good job by now. If anyone
is interested, use and modify it:
<http://schurli.wu-wien.ac.at/dcc/userdir.m4>. I'm still looking
for the best way to create the userdirs/logs. Automatically / on
request / ...

Thank you very much,
  George

--
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Central and Internet Services Section