More dccm's on one host

Fri Sep 9 13:29:05 UTC 2005

> From: Georg Graf <georg.graf@wu-wien.ac.at>

> I get the "too many simultaneous messages" from dccm in the log
> many times a day. Since dccm is running behind a tcp proxy
> (balance), I started to run them twice on the same config files
> and log directory.
>
> Does anyone see any danger?

As far as the DCC code is concerned, running 2 dccm processes on one
CPU should work, but it will test the inter-process locking of
/var/dcc/whiteclnt.  The inter-thread locking is better tested, as
well as more efficient.

However, have you checked for the process limits that are constraining
the number of dccm threads for a single process?  If possible it
would be better to increase the limit on the number of open files per
single process or UID.

If the limit is on the number of open files per UID, then running
2 dccm processes might lead to problems.