DCC version 1.3.16 released

Wed Sep 7 22:44:34 UTC 2005

> From: "Jeff A. Earickson" <jaearick@colby.edu>

> I can't get dcc 1.3.16 to start on Solaris 9, the syslog message is:
>
> bind(/opt/dcc-1.3.16/dccifd) Permission denied; fatal error

Is the directory /opt/dcc-1.3.16/ writeable by the user that starts dccifd?

Do you start dccifd as root or "dcc" or by some other user?
Did you use /opt/dcc-1.3.16/libexec/start-dccifd,
/opt/dcc-1.3.16/libexec/rcDCC start
or something else?
Notice that start-dccifd (which is called by rcDCC) contains a `chown`

> My configuration script is:
>
> #!/usr/bin/sh
> VERSION=dcc-1.3.16
> ./configure --homedir=/opt/$VERSION --bindir=/opt/$VERSION/bin \
> --libexecdir=/opt/$VERSION/libexec \
> --disable-dccm --disable-server --with-uid=dcc
>
> I am upgrading via tarball and configure/make/make install
> from 1.3.13.  Any changes that would have caused this?

I would not use that ./config scheme.
First, if I wanted to use /opt/$VERSION for the DCC home directory
I would follow the more than just prudent rule of not setting any
parameter unless necessary.  Unless I've misread it, that command
is completely equivalent to

    VERSION=dcc-1.3.16
    ./configure --homedir=/opt/$VERSION --bindir=/opt/$VERSION/bin \
      --disable-dccm --disable-server --with-uid=dcc

More important is that making the DCC home directory depend on the
version number loses all configuration settings made in previous
versions.  Run-time configuration settings are in dcc_conf.
Also, the /opt/dcc-1.3.16/libexec/updatedcc script will probably not do
what you consider the right thing when you install the next version.

For configuration files like the DCC dcc_conf file, not to mention
everything else including /etc/passwd, I use RCS.  Using a version
dependent directory either loses configuration history or requires
something like the scripts I use to copy RCS archives into
the directories for releases of sendmail.

My tactic for dealing with parades ofreleases of other people's software
is to stash the UNIX tarball, Windows "installer" .exe file, or whatever
somewhere separate.  I keep a directory called ~/vendors that I write
to a CDROM periodically.