dccifd - smtp sequence problem?

Tony Finch dot@dotat.at
Tue Aug 16 10:19:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> I see the problem.  Dccifd expects SMTP commands to comply with section
> 4.1.2 of RFC 821:
>
>          This also applies to any symbols representing parameter values,
>          such as "TO" or "to" for the forward-path.  Command codes and
>          the argument fields are separated by one or more spaces.
>
> I interpret that to mean that a blank should separate appear after
> "FROM:" and before "<test@test.cz>" as well as after "TO:" and
> before "<foo@bar.cz>"

SMTP is a bit weird in this area. The command verbs in these cases are
"MAIL" and "RCPT" and the arguments are "FROM:<addr>" and "TO:<addr>".
The SMTP specifications are explicit about where white space may appear in
their syntax, e.g. RFC 821

            MAIL <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>
            RCPT <SP> TO:<forward-path> <CRLF>

and 2821

      "MAIL FROM:" ("<>" / Reverse-Path)
                       [SP Mail-parameters] CRLF

   "RCPT TO:" ("<Postmaster@" domain ">" / "<Postmaster>" / Forward-Path)
                    [SP Rcpt-parameters] CRLF

See also the examples in both RFCs.

I note with some amusement that Sendmail X will *not* accept an SMTP
envelope with spaces between : and <. See the "strict RFC 2821 compliance"
section of:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-X/doc-X.0.0.Alpha11.0/README.txt

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR